Monday, August 4, 2008

Big Guys Get Mugged Too!

It's August again, reminds me of a bad incident that happened last year...

Walking along the Katipunan road to go home after midnight, I was surprised that a guy walked past me. The weird thing was he’s only a few inches away from me. As I approached the corner, he turned back and pointed at me a balisong! At the sight of that I panicked as another guy approached me from behind. I was mumbling “No, no, no, oh my God, oh my God, oh my God, why, why, why!” as they were taking my bag and my phone. I was saying, “Can I just take my sim? Can I just take my sim?” while I was crying (with no tears). It seemed the end of the world for me. I have nothing if I lose my bag. As they were abandoning me, I cried more and at that moment I thought they took pity on me. They returned my bag and my phone and just asked for my money. I readily obliged and gave them my coin purse, which has about less than a hundred bucks, and said “This is all I have.” They were about in their twenties, one guy apologized “Pasensya na ha, may sakit kase anak ko eh...” Still crying, I replied “It’s ok... the money... I understand... I’ll pray for you!

I ran immediately and decided to sleep at a friend’s house. That incident happened last August 1, at about 2 o’clock on the morning. What a nice welcome for the Anniversary Month of UP Kalilayan! I couldn’t imagine losing that bag because all of my files are there. “Panu na ang homecoming pag kinuha nila bag ko?” I was really thinking of the anniversary month. I can’t contact the alumni if I don’t have a phone. I can’t lose the alumni directory. But after that, I was ok and my life went on like nothing happened. It’s actually a terrifying experience to be mugged. I am very grateful to God for helping me during that experience.

No comments: